Friday 3 January 2014

Preparing for a power cut

The weather report was right.It's horrible wet and windy with some gusts that today have taken my breath away. Skipper hasn't been on her usual forestry walk just round and about here today.We got barked at last night by a ,far too close for comfort, deer. She barked at it a couple of times but we could here it around and about for ages.

With the weather forecast everyone around here thinks 'power cut' so I try to plan ahead through the hours of daylight. It's just a bonus then if it stays on. Last night I charged up my phone and Kindle.We often lose our phone signal and landline as well although waving the mobile around in the air upstairs often enables a text to be sent-if nothing else.
This morning I lit the stove in the kitchen-it takes about 4 hours to get hot enough for cooking so I've a lovely warm kitchen and a big pan of homemade and liquidised pasta sauce ready for tea.I've managed to do a couple of loads of washing-the second lot is just waiting to go on the airer in the utility room.I've filled the water container and kept up with the washing up as no electric=no pump=no water.

Lots of the roads about seem to have been flooded but we didn't have to go anywhere so we didn't! I really wanted to nip into town but didn't so that's the first £1 for my jar.Last night I did a bit of online shopping and managed to get my son some really nice walking boots half price in a sale. I was tempted by all sorts of things for myself but just tagged on some half price thick socks for me onto the order.

3 comments:

  1. We have been having quite a few power cuts but thankfully they have only lasted an hour or two each time. We are on a supply of water from the farm and have a septic tank but luckily ours is gravity fed so we don't have to worry about a pump. It must be stressful to lose everything at once when the power goes off.
    I bought a basic plug in phone for powercuts to replace the dect phones which are useless. Mobile wise we are similar to you in that we quite often lose signal here and there is only one network that works here at all anyway. Walk to the end of the lane about 1 and a quarter miles and there are lots of networks that work but here zilch!
    Good buy with the walking boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last power cut at the beginning of December was 32 hours but Mum and Dad down the hill are on the mains now so I just fill up there. I have a plug in phone on standby but we often lose that as well :(

      Delete
  2. Hope it stays on! Handy at least that you have a means of getting water if your pump is off.

    ReplyDelete