Saturday 18 January 2014

It's easy to drown...

Yes I meant DROWN..as in the water.Not under paperwork or debt really drown.

On Thursday I went along to help at the monthly over 60s Lunch Club.I'd spent most of the afternoon before making Chocolate Brownies for the desert,I was grateful for this as the Oven warmed the kitchen up-I had no heating-but that's another story!

I nipped back home to collect Mum and Dad as the road was flooded and the Heating Engineer had finished so I decided just to stay in the Village and carry on helping. I'd just got into the kitchen when one of the ladies(who'd just nipped out for a smoke!!) came in shouting 'someones in the water'.We couldn't see anyone but could hear desperate cries for help. It all happened very quickly but it turned out the lady had been boarding her boat in the Bay and had slipped into the icy water.She was wearing a lifejacket and wasn't that far from shore but had become very disorientated and was hyperventilating badly. She made it into the shallows and someone went in and pulled her out. I drove round the tracks to get to her and she was very cold and shaken but fine. Idon't like to think what so very nearly happened.

To show her gratitude she gave us a Hamper which were are having a draw for to raise money for the R.N.L.I and we hate to admit it but in this instance F's smoking probably saved a life.

Just makes you think....

4 comments:

  1. What a lucky escape, and perfect timing on behalf of your friend. Never mind drowning I should think the shock and cold would be enough for most people. So glad it had a happy ending x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it was the shock and the fact she was out of sight round a little corner in the Bay x

      Delete
  2. How awful. We capsized in a canoe whilst holidaying in Wales. Despite wearing a life jacket it was a terrifying experience. Glad this had a happy outcome, and nice of the lady to acknowledge the help she received by giving a hamper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and hopefully we will raise a bit of money for the RNLI volunteers x

      Delete